Saturday, September 19, 2009

A true healing medium.


Unlike the old dilapidated temple, this new temple is well-built. It is some distance from the location of the old temple.


I once had an accident in Alor Star, Kedah and one month later when I visited my uncle, Mr. Lim Eu Hor, I was caught by surprised at the first question he asked.
"Something happened to you, right? Luckily, it's nothing serious," he smilingly said.
"It was just a very minor accident. How did you know?" I enquired.
"I felt it and I knew it was you," he told me.

At another time, when I was at his temple, I asked him if it was possible for me to learn how to heal others as he was doing.
"Young man, don't hope for that. You see how strong and able I am at healing others but do you know that life is tough for me?" he admonished me. "Take a good look at me. I'm so thin. I cannot eat anything much, just some vegetables and mostly, it's coconut and coconut water. You know, I am so weak physically. When it rains, I feel so cold!" he informed.


Here's a picture of Mr. Lim Eu Hor, the person chosen by Ganesan to be his medium for the Tai Pee Sun Temple in Tanjung Bunga.


What he said was obviously true. He was as thin as a scarecrow. The only beautiful part about him was his ever glowing, smiling face.

It was during my days of searching for spiritual truth that I was introduced to this uncle, the child of one of my father's female cousins. I remember very well the day I searched in vain for a monk who was reputed to have the power of astral travelling from the top of a hill to its foot whild meditating. I returned home to have my father notice the great disappointment I was experiencing. My father enquired about my feelings and upon being told of my disappointment, instantly drew my attention with the story of this uncle who had become a medium.

Lim Eu Hor never thought of becoming a medium. He was earning a good salary distributing cigarettes in Butterworth for a company.That was some time in the 1950's.

Then, one day was he was going his rounds, the spirit of Ganesan came and with that, he could somehow know where there are sick people who needed to be healed. He would go into such a house and with the touch of his hand, healed the sick. News of his daily ability travelled and he became well-known in Butterworth.

Unfortunately, news also reached his employer and soon he was without a job. How could this man do his job well when he spent so much time healing people?

Ganesan told him to continue with his work of healing people. It was his mission in life, according to Ganesan. However, to achieve the powers of healing others, he had to be a vegetarian. That, although difficult, was not a great problem. Then, he would have to purify himself to achieve a higher level by meditating in a glass case for forthy days, if my memory is not faulty. This he did and according to my father, it was recorded by the Chinese newspapers. (One of them could be Kwong Hwa Jit Poh, I am told.)

When I got to know him well, he told me he failed the meditation part. The reason was that he could not stop himself from talking or trying to communicate with friends who came to see him in the glass case.

The most difficult part he had to go through was to part with his wife and his child, forgo all marital joy and duties to his own family. It took some time for that to happen as love is the most difficult to forgo. However, to accomplish his work as a healer, with the great understanding of his wife, he had his wife and child stay in a small house beside the temple a committee built for him. That was the greatest sacrifice he had to make to be a healer.

It was not easy to be a medium in a temple in Tanjung Bunga, Penang where a committee had built for him. To maintain a temple and its committee, there must be money. To have the temple become popular it has to bring people who are willing to supply money. So, the committee asked this medium to give four-digit numbers to attract the crowd.

But Ganesan told this medium that his mission was to heal, not give four-digit numbers. So. there was this conflict of interest.
"Do you know that I had to suffer a lot during this time?" he asked me. "Whenever I follow the directive to give numbers to attract the crowd, Ganesan would use my hand to slap me very hard. And it was really painful. And each time, I gave numbers, I slapped myself hard. Finally, I couldn't stand the pain any longer. I told the committee I cannot give any more numbers. You know what happened. Every member of the committee deserted the temple. Look at the temple now!"

That was in 1969. The temple was in a very poor state with the roof leaking in a few places and everything else in the temple old and worn. There was no one to help this medium upkeep his temple.

That is not to say that nobody knows of its existence. It had many devotees, people who have been healed. Only difference is that nobody sells joss-sticks or oil to anybody. Just a small, hardly noticeable tim with a slit at the top was place at a table to people to put in donations. No money was ever asked for. I believe people did bring jossticks, candles and bottles of oil for the medium.

Once when I asked my uncle how he had survived all that without requesting for donations, he said, "Ganesan told me not to worry about money. When there is a need, money will somehow be given. There's no need to ask."

"Why did Ganesan chose you to be his medium?" I enquired.
This was his reply, "When Ganesan told me that I had to leave my family to help him heal people, I did tell him to look for someone who has no family. Why me? Ganesan told me I was the closest to him. Ganesan told me in a previous reincarnation, I was his, the elephant's keeper. Furthermore, He told me he wanted to help me to reach a higher level."

Thus, this medium spent the rest of his life healing those in search of a cure. There was no monetary gain and in his poor physical shape, he suffered in order that others might be healed.

Once, when I told someone about this medium, this someone said that it was the devil who had possessed my uncle. I did not wish to reply to that. I preferred to allow him to think of it.

In my own mind, I wondered how anyone who wishes to heal the sick can be called the devil. If the devil had such noble deeds and thoughts, I would be the first to support him. Where I am concerned, it's Godly to heal others especially when the healer does not expect any rewards. Divine! That's what it can only be.

No comments:

Post a Comment