Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reach out to those in need of a helping hand.

It was in the University of Malaya, 1977, that I helped a driver move her car out of a parking lot. Strolling, as I was early, to one of the 'Teaching of English as a Second Language' (TESL) lectures, I saw this young lady moving her vehicle half-way in and out of a parking lot a good number of times, unable to come out of it without the possiblity of knocking into one of the cars beside her own.

Although I had not yet taken up driving lessons then, I could not help but want to help her. Appraising the narrow space her car was in, I found that her problem was that she turned the wheel too early. So, I directed her to straighten her front wheels, reverse straight out before turning the vehicle. That did the trick!

It was only after she had gone that I realised the wonder of having taught someone how to safely reverse out of a parking lot without having learned driving or driven a car before. That feeling gave me a high and took my self-esteem to fantastic heights. Besides that, I was delighted that I could be of help to someone. Of course, her beautiful, thankful smile was great! Well, is not that reward enough just for extending a little help? And when it comes without expectation, it makes the appreciation even better.

I don't know but I have always liked to help wherever I may or can. Perhaps, it is the wonderful feeling I have whenever such opportunities to help arise. Perhaps, it makes me feel more useful. Perhaps, it is the smiles of gratefulness I recieve. Perhaps, I just want to be a hero. Whatever it is, I feel good and that is really worth a lot more than many things in this world.

It is also the bridge to friendship. There was this neighbour who could hardly be considered friendly until the day I helped her son up when he fell in the middle of the road with his bicycle on top of him. She was more friendly with me after that incident.

It does not cost a cent to extend a helping hand to a fellow human or an ailing creature but the effect on yourself and the people in your world is so great. The appreciation is always there although we do not act for that. And the world is a so much better place if we all care enough to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment