Saturday, September 26, 2009

Have you seen spirits?

More than a fortnight ago, I was telling a friend the different beliefs on spirits between the Buddhist and the taoist.

I told him that the Buddhists merely give chants and prayers for a number of days during the seventh month of the Chinese lunar calender because they believe that spirits do not need food and drink as they no longer are of the material world. And it looks like they are right, for who have seen pieces of food ripped off from that which is offered in prayer.

The taoists, on the other hand, believe that we must offer food and tea during prayers as the spirits need them. Yet, the very people who offer the food eat it themselves, after the prayers. This has always been a confusion to me.

However, people like my father who have eyes that can see spirits have told us that spirits do go and lick the food offered, giving me the impression that the 'spirit' part of the food is taken.

At this point, my friend told me of someone whom he knew, who had told him of what he saw. It happened many years ago when the Sungai Petani Moral Uplifting Society was having its usual prayers for the spirits of the dead during the Chinese lunar seventh month. As the people were praying, one of them saw the spirits rush in for the food. Thinking that others could see the same scene, he turned to the others and told them to see how hungry those spirits were. When the others turned in surprise and bewilderment at his words, he pointed to the place the spirits were still going for the food and asked,"Don't you see what I am seeing?"
When there was no reply from the questioning looks directed at him, he realised that he was the only one privileged to the sight of the spirits.

That realisation also brought fear. He ran home and since then had never appeared at such events again.

According to this friend who never tell tall stories, it was a true story.

In telling me this story, my friend confirms my belief that there are other people who can see spirits just like my father. Yes, this merely concludes with what I know, that there are spirits.

One day, I tell you about those who have opened their third eye to be able to see and communicate with the spirits.

Till then, if you have any experiences, do sent me the information or write your comments in this blog. Let us share and understand this world better.

No comments:

Post a Comment