Monday, November 16, 2009

Incapacitating fear.

A gymnast's worst enemy is fear. No gymnast can perform well when there is fear in his heart. The fear can come as a result of loss of confidence. The doubt of being able to perform starts in the mind. Once doubt anchors itself in the mind, the gymnast is lost. No longer can he perform well.

In all things, the mind plays a very important role. Success or failure depends on the confidence which has its root in the mind. Convince the mind that success can be achieved and everything else fall into place. Confidence drives out fear. Without fear, everything is possible.

I remember very well my first Red Cross flag-day at the Penang Youth Centre more than forty years ago. I partnered with an Indian friend. From the moment I recieved the donation tin and the flags, I told my friend we were going to collect the most donation for the day. I told him it would be easy if we can cover the greatest distance and approached the most number of people. He agreed with me and promise to support every move to request for donation from every stranger we met that day.

As strong teenagers, we set off immediately and started right after exiting from the gate of the Penang Youth Centre. Initially, there was this little awkwardness in approaching strangers for donation but as donation after donation came in, the feeling subsided and the nerve to approach just anyone strengthened. Of course, a few refusals we did get but as we strove on, I noticed that whenever I approached strangers with a ready smile and explained or requested for donation in a friendly yet purposeful voice, the response was good. With that positive attitude, I reached out to all the shops and expensive places to discover that there were many willing to donate when approached correctly. After merely an hour of collecting, there was such great confidence that the rest of the day was easy going.

As we went along, I did notice that some flag-day volunteers were not bold enough to reach out to everyone they saw. For example, they moved aside for some well-dressed people moving purposefully past them instead of standing firm in their path and asking for donation. Many did not go into shops to approach proprietors whom I found to be the best to approach. It must have been fear, doubt, insecurity or a lack of commitment to perform the task well. So, some people who could have donated were lost to the cause.

Of course, we did end that day with the most donation collected and was pleasantly surprised with being presented a radio.

Even if my partner and I had not been given a radio each, it was one of the most beneficial experiences of my life. Through that experience, I no longer had any qualms in approaching any stranger. I understood people better; that people respect confident people and are more willing to comply with any reasonable request. I also learned that no matter how better dressed another person may be, he is no different from the flesh, blodd and heart of any other. It is courage, confidence and the ability to perform that makes people different. See. How much benefit a child can get from being a volunteer for a donation drive. Today, I am no different. I still approach strangers, this time to tell them of the Art of Living Foundation and the benefits of its breathing courses.

Of course, I am not saying that it is easy to get rid of some fears. Some fears exist because we know our limits. This is where we have to face reality. For example, from childhood experience, I know I cannot sing like Elvis or Cliff Richard. Those are singers during my time. Having faced reality, I now sing only in my bathroom or when no one is near enough to hear my out of tune, beautiful voice. So, I would never go on stage to sing. Never! Yes, it is a fear. But it is healthy fear. I know I am good at many things but there are a few things I would allow others to excel in. Give others a chance. See, this is where i am very generous.

You know, when I visited India a year ago I discovered that I could still vault over a four-feet high metal barricade at the airport in Chennai. Before then, I thought I could no longer do it. There was this fear of falling should my legs not clear the hurdle. Age can bring on such fears. Since then, I had regained the confidence and have been doing it each time opportunity presents itself. So, most fears can be overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment