Sunday, November 15, 2009

If ever cancer strikes.

On Friday night, after my usual Kriya practice at the AOL, I saw a friend and asked, “How are you?”
“Not too well,” was the reply.
Anxious to know the reason, I sat down beside her and ask her what had happened.

She showed me a white plaster over her shoulder blade. It was due to an operation she just went through to remove some cancer cells.

She told me of the first time she discovered the cancer and went through chemotherapy. According to her, it did not do her any good as the cancer had returned after hardly a year. So, last week, when the cancer was discovered again, she refused any more chemotherapy. She agreed that chemotherapy not only kill cancer cells but also our own cells too, thus weakening our immune system eventually. So, last week, she went through an operation instead and now she is looking at alternative cures.

She told me she was lucky as she had always been strong. She found that her immune system was lower but still at a lever which is still good. However, having experienced chemotherapy, she decided not to go through it again. She wanted a better way to tackle cancer.

She was not just strong, she was a strong believer in Buddhism. Because of her strong belief in Buddhism, she had no fear of facing cancer. Through her understanding of Buddhist teachings, there was no fear of death. Watching her talk, I believed her.

She told me of a book in Mandarin in which a Thai doctor had written about food which can help cancer patients. According to her, it is the most popular book on the topic at the moment.

I mentioned to her the lady who took flaxseeds to help her stave off her cancer. At the mention of flaxseeds, she told me that that was recommended by the doctor in that book.She supplied the information that the book recommended taking two tablespoons of flaxseeds at each meal.

As flaxseeds are very cheap at five Ringgit Malaysia and fifty cents for 250gms, I believe there is no harm consuming it each day besides undergoing whatever treatments the doctors recommend.

When it comes to eating flaxseeds, I would advise that the seeds are crushed, pounded or chopped with a chopper so that our body can get at the oil in the flaxseed. Thus, our body will benefit from the lignans, the Omega-3, Omega-6 and Omega-9. Crush just sufficient flaxseed for each day’s use. Any excess should be stored in the refrigerator away from light to prevent deterioration and loss of nutrients.

Although I do not suffer from any sickness, I eat chopped flaxseeds and sesame seeds mixed into my food. Sometimes, I take a tablespoon of flaxseed oil. Although I believe they keep me in good health, I do not overeat nor over-drink as too much of anything, no matter how good, can bring side effects or, sometimes, toxicity.

Well, my drinks, my raw and cooked food, my oils, my nuts, seeds, breathing exercises and hill-trek have kept me in good condition, working and playing throughout the day from five thirty in the morning to eleven at night. I am more than satisfied with the strength, stamina, fitness and energy at my disposal. What more can I ask for?

I strongly believe that food can help our body heal itself. Do you? Do tell us the reason if you disagree so that we can benefit from your experience. I am always open to new ideas and knowledge. I am never too old to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment