Thursday, October 22, 2009

God, religion and preachers.

The lady neighbour living behind my house saw me this afternoon and called out my name, "Ai Wei, come over here, please."

Thinking that she needed some kind of help, I quickly move to the rear portion of my garden. She beamed me a smile before telling me that I was invited to attend her church next Saturday evening at seven.

Unlike some preachers who would condemn people to eternal damnation if they fail to believe Jesus, the lord, this friendly neighbour is one of God's best disciple. She does not drive you off with ungodly words. She spreads the word of the lord with patience and goodness. She tells of God's miracles and salvation.

Yes, salvation! That is the word God would have his people convey and not damnation. Do some preachers ever stop to think of the implication of damnation? What is damnation? It is to send people to hell. Who would want to sent someone to hell? The answer ought to be: Someone I hate. Right? Loving us, would God want that? Certainly not! God is love. In Christianity, it is proclaimed that God loves us enough to send his own Son to suffer crucifixion for the sins of Man. He did it out of love, not hate. So, if the spirit have not touched the heart of a person and he truthfully could not find it in himself to believe, God would wait patiently for that son. I believe God has the patience to save our souls. He would never vent his wrath with condemnatory speech.

Let me tell you that this writer has been to church many times. When I was a young teacher in the town of Alor Star, i attended the Baptist church. The pastor then was Brother Love. How well his name suited him. He was always smiling and ever so good to everyone, Christian or otherwise. His love for mankind was godly. I can still visualise his perpetually smiling, ruddy face.

Among the few pastors I have known, this was a man of God. Never did I hear an unkind word. He only talks of salvation and the beautiful work of God. Tiredlessly, he went about his work for God. Although I did not become a Christian, it was through no fault of his. The fault must have been mine. Despite my admiration and love for this pastor, i just could not find that something.....

Perhaps, due to curiosity and my study of the other religions I discover and understand that God in His wisdom gives us choices, the roads to reach him are many and so are the ways to answer our prayers. Believe it, no matter where you are, whatever religion you belong to, God works in mysterious ways and He will be there.

Back to Brother Love. This was a man who got me to eagerly attend church, to enjoy the beautiful hymns such as 'Amazing Grace'. Not only that, it was a time when I studied the bible and went to the pulpit to talk on something in the bible. No other pastor has ever got me to do that.

I believe if more pastors are like Brother Love, more lost sheep would be found. Of course, there will still be a few stubborn sheep who would wander far afield.

In contrast to Brother Love and my friendly neighbour was another pastor who, in his sermon, told the people present in his church that a certain well-known man was condemned forever to hell despite his great wealth because he did not become a Christian. That well-known man was long dead, unable to defend himself and his own belief. When I heard that, my distaste for such damnation left me certain of never ever listening to another of his sermon.

How can anyone give such a sermon if he understands God; that everyone who has not yet found his way to God is a lost sheep. Did this pastor search for his lost sheep? Did he continue to assist the lost soul by praying for its safe journey home? Would not shouting and condemning drive away the children of God?

Why do these faults of mortal man surface so frequently as he stands as the representative of God? I believe we have to return to God, to the words of our loving God. Follow the example of Brother Love and success in bringing the sheep home can be achieved.

Although this post is on one particular religion, what is written applies to all religions. Those who wish to represent God must be almost; I accept that they are human after all; godly.

No comments:

Post a Comment