Thursday, July 29, 2010

Conflicting information about plastics.


It was many years ago I read about chemicals from plastic containers leaching into the water. At that time I was using plastic bottles which I had bought with half a litre of mineral water or drinking water. What I did was I replaced the bottles with new ones containing mineral or drinking water that I had bought from the supermarket.

Then, one day I read that those very plastic bottles were not safe for reuse due to the leaching of dangerous chemicals from the plastic; that the only safe plastic containers must be numbered or graded a 7 and upwards to be safe. So I took my wife and children to the supermarket to look for safe plastic water containers to carry water around so that we consume sufficient amount of day each day so as to be healthy. Those plastic water containers were made of hard plastic and were quite expensive at that time.

Now, whoever spread that knowledge must have been out to earn a fast buck from the consumers for recently I read of chemicals leaching out not from those soft plastic containers that I once used each time I finished the half a litre of mineral water but from the hard plastic containers that I paid quite a sum for to escape drinking dangerous chemical tainted water. So all plastics, be they plates, cups or bottles that are hard, contain this synthetic chemical called bisphenol. And according to the experts, bisphenol-free bottles are available in the supermarket. So, it looks like I would have to throw all my plastic containers away and replace them with new bisphenol-free bottles and containers. And according to the information, soft plastic is bisphenol-free. Thus, it is back to bottles used to contain mineral or drinking water once again.

Well, perhaps I should forget about using plastic bottles but turn to good stainless steel containers for my water.

But I still wonder what happened to have us receive the information that those soft plastic bottles could bring along the danger of leaching chemicals when the recent information deem such soft plastic safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment