Friday, March 20, 2009

Understand and allow differing views and peace will be ours.

This morning, I was on my way to meet a friend to hike up a hill when she rang up to ask if it was raining. My house was nearer to the hill and there was no rain at all at the time. She informed me that it was raining at her place. It was the same sky in the same small town but a different weather.

Some weeks ago while I was at one of those Art of Living knowledge sessions, I looked out through the window in front on my right to see a dark, gloomy sky. I turned to the left to look through a window at a clear, blue sky. How contrasting the views were despite observing from the same spot at the same sky! Two clearly differing views were seen! Yet, both were true!

How often have we met people who have differing knowledge of a friend? Someone may describe the person as generous to a fault while another may find him the most self-centered person in the universe. This, of course, is due to the experiences we had with the person. If we understand this, then we can no longer be surprised at the difference.

Just as the scientist, who would demand proof and not accept anything beyond logic, and the priest, who willingly tell of the miracles he had witnessed, can never except the other’s understanding of the matter; people with different experiences see things differently.

And because these people see things differently and do not try or are unable to understand the other person’s view, there are so many problems among individuals, people, a community and the whole world.

All we need to realize is that each person’s view is based on his understanding through his/her own experiences as well as the angle at which the subject is observed. Through this we ought to be able to accept the person’s views.

Take for example, my own experience with helping a young girl overcome her psychiatric problem merely through a breathing exercise and some knowledge in the Art of Living program. I would not fault anyone who thinks what I have just said is a lot of hogwash. In his position, without personal knowledge of what had happened, I would have said the same thing.

Here are a number of things I would consider nonsense if I had not known its existence. I would not have believed in chakras which are energy points in our body. I would not have believed the existence of a third eye. I would not have believed the third eye could be opened if I had not known of people who have had theirs opened. I would not have believed in trigger points if I had not use the knowledge to overcome pain.

If we try to be more aware that views can be different, yet right; then, we can open ourselves to more knowledge and greater understanding. Then, we have the opportunity to wonder at the many mysterious truths which exist in this world.

When we have greater understanding, there will be less conflicts and clashes. Peace can then descend upon all humans who are the same, no matter what skin color, language or place of origin.

No comments:

Post a Comment