Friday, March 27, 2009

Stuck with a problem?

To encounter problems is a part of living. Only our friends in underground chambers with a tombstone to mark their last abode do not have problems. In fact, they are no longer there; returned to sender, God.

To live is to meet with problems. However, if we have the right attitude, problems are not obstacles to a happy life. For me, there are two types of problems; those which can be solved and those that cannot be solved. Solve those which have solutions; and sweep aside, surrender to God those which we cannot solve.

Of course, I must agree that it is easier said than done. There are some problems which cannot be forgotten or surrendered easily, especially relationship problems with loads of emotions.

However, if we realize it is a problem which has no solutions; the door is locked forever; then whenever it comes, we know there is no point in thinking about it and we just switch our mind to something else. It will return, of course, but we put priority on the present moment and other things or activities and slowly but gradually; it may take a longer time; but it has to recede to the background. It may surface again and again but the pain will go away and we will emerge stronger to face the next problem.

Fortunate to be born to poor parents, I encountered problems often enough in my younger days to learn how to face them.

Born poor, I was very sensitive to people’s words. Sometimes, words can hurt a lot. Even when the person who uttered the words was no longer around, the hurt remained, appearing every now and then or until another hurt took its place.

Fortunately, with good friends to teach and help me to enjoy the happiness of each new day, I managed to reach a stage where I consider all words the right of any author, totally his view and possibly different from mine. I learned through knowledge and experience to allow different views. It does not change my view at all. So, it does not affect my mind at all. It does not even become a problem.

I was born weak. I was sickly as a child. There was one stage, about the age of six, when I could not walk. My whole body was painful! There was that well-known lady medium who would go into a trance and cure people of their complaints, be it sickness or daily misfortunes.

I was carried to such a medium whose temple happened to be near my house. I was laid on the floor. I was terrified of the big woman. But, there was no escape for me as I could not even get up from the floor where I was placed. Imagine my cries of pain and horror as she stepped onto my feet and trampled on them. Then, she pulled me up by my hands. I walked when she told me to! It was a miracle! I walked all the way home after praying to her. Was it fear that drove me to walk? Whatever it was, I became well enough to walk again.

Since then, I was determined never to have to go through such an ordeal again. I exercised in every way I could. I ran whenever I had the chance. I walked very often. Later, I even took up weight-lifting. Eventually, I went into long-distance running (I was selected to be a member of my school's cross-crountry team.), Tae Kwon do, gymnastics, hiking, Tai chi, Shaolin Martial Arts, and Qiqong.

As there was a solution to my physical weakness, I took the steps necessary to overcome it. Today I am strong and healthy. I have been so for the last thirty something years.

No comments:

Post a Comment