Monday, May 31, 2010

Count our blessings.

Yesterday, a friend told me to go and get a longan plant from her house. So, I took my son along to have the fairly big plant removed from its huge pot so that it would be light enough for her husband to take it to my house in the evening.

As the time draws near to transport the plant to my house, it rained and a telephone call informed me it would be brought in the morning at half past seven. That would mean no hill-trekking for me at that time. By the time the plant would be planted, it would be too late to go. So I had to miss that.

Well, we cannot have everything, can we? Whatever needs to be done has to be carried out. Furthermore, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise for I had strained myself a little the last few days, exerting a little too much to improve my strength and flexibility more. The Achilles tendon was somewhat sore. But then, like a stubborn old coot, I had ignored it and perhaps would have continued to aggravate the situation had not the opportunity come for me to rest it for a day. For good health, sufficient rest is just as important.

Sometimes we are our own enemies by ignoring our body's call to slow down or take a rest. Our ego can egg us on even when we ought not to. In the process, we hurt ourselves. So, usually I take it as God's work. In His own mysterious ways, He knows what ought to be done. Thus, interruptions and unforeseen circumstances in our lives become much-needed changes to our routine.

Thus, instead of having one blessing, being presented a beautiful ready to fruit plant; I had two, the second blessing being the chance to rest my Achilles tendon and reduce the pain.

So, most things is life has a positive side to it. Look out for the positive and it will appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment