Monday, June 01, 2009

Certain things I do not understand, after all.

There are times in this life when I just let others be the cleverer ones. Take a wedding for example; and a Chinese wedding at that!

There are usually a lot a cultural knowledge involved and I am one of those (I don't actually know but I just hope there ARE at least some people like me.)who do not find much time for giving it attention. Sshh! My relatives will be shocked to hear that. Anyhow, that's the plain truth.

It was one of my sisters' child who has found a girl to marry. As a close uncle, I was expected to appear in the morning for the tea-ceremoney; sorry, it's ceremony, not ceremoney. That's the ceremony where the bride is to be introduced to the bridegroom's relatives. The bride politely handed two too small cups of tea on a big plate to this uncle. I drank one of the two little cups of tea (I was supposed to drink only a cup as my better half has gone to heaven); very sweet and delicious but certainly not sufficient to quench my thirst. Therefore, I inadvertently took the other cup of tea as well as it was there in the plate. Someone moved closer and told me I was to take only one cup just as I placed a red packet on the plate. (For two cups; meaning that I was drinking on behalf of someone else, I was expected to leave two red packets on the plate. Well, nothing could be done as I had prepared only one packet.)

Today, such a ceremony is fine with me. Previously, I used to be disgusted with the practice of opening the red packets by the master-of-ceremony at such a function and announcing to the world its contents. Imagine the embarrassment of those relatives who could only affort to give so much less than the others. And sometimes, close relatives are even expected to give expensive jewellery. During my cheeky, younger years I used to enjoy telling some of the poorer relatives; only those who can laugh at my jokes, of course; not to worry as excellent imitation jewellery which look and feel just like the real thing is easily purchased even those days. Every embarrassing detail of the gift is recorded.Luckily, I am born in more compassionate times.

In the evening, we went to the wedding dinner at a restaurant. As I entered, upon being invited in, I gave the groom's father a red packet. I have always refused to write my name on such packets. After all, what's the purpose? Is it to find out how generous or stingy I am? Would I be more likeable if I had put in more money? Anyway, this groom's father was old-fashioned and insisted on writing my name on it. Of course, I let it be. But this should not be the practice. After all, no matter how big or small the present, all relatives are relatives, be they rich or poor.

Then, at the dinner that evening, I was requested to be seated at the main table; the VIP table. I declined the offer and got my brother to take my place. Imagine this nobody being treated like some VIP. Forget it! When it comes to prawns, for example, I would like to use my hands to remove the shells and perhaps dip my finger into the finger-licking sauce. How could I sit prim and proper in front of the video-camera and still enjoy my meal. Oh, no! Not even at my own wedding dinner did I sit quietly. I was attending to my friends and talking into the mike whenever I felt like it. My own MC had a tough time.

Well, seated with other jovial relatives and friends, we had a good evening and enjoyed our meal exchanging the latest information. The freedom to joke, laugh and tease among us brought back memories of the good old days as weddings are, in a way, a kind of reunion of relatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment