Sunday, June 21, 2009

How can life be boring?

One day, as I was waiting for my turn at the bank, I met this retired teacher. He asked me how was life. I told him it has been great with retirement giving me more time to do the things I wanted to do. Of course, there was still insufficient time to accomplish a few other interests in my life.

Upon hearing my enthusiastic narrative of life in retirement, he asked me how that was possible. He told me of a routine he followed each day; waking up late, having breakfast, reading the newspapers, lunch, nap, watching television, dinner, television again and sleep. It was boring, without anything to make life something to look forward to.

On my part, I told him of my walks up and down a hill, meeting friends all or part of the way. After the sweating and the exercise, I look forward to breakfast with self-planted raw herbs and vegetables, coconut oil, noodles and sometimes desiccated coconut together with my honey and enzyme or apple-cider vinegar drink.
Even the food I eat changes as I gather new knowledge. Raw edible leaves from plants are a constant interest to me. The search to maintain excellent health is a part of my life.

With that, I look into the cleanliness and health of my fish, tortoise, turtle and birds.

Besides this blog and hobbies such as photography, meditation and breeding of various types of living things, there is always new information on a variety of interesting subjects from the library and the internet.

Of course, each day is an unknown event, sometimes with people needing injury massage service from me early in the morning before I had an opportunity to attend to my pets. During such massage services, I get to meet new people. As I do not maintain a shop or distribute cards, such people know me through word of mouth from those who had been cured. And the stories these people tell are interesting.

Then, there is some volunteer work which I do for The Art of Living from time to time. Whenever possible, I take part in its activities too. Besides this, I serve as the secretary of my housing estate residential association.

I do teach English, mostly to adults. However, recently, I had tutored students to prepare them for the Asian Scholarships. I do some free-lance teaching. When time permits, I agree to teach the English Language to the staff of companies through a Language Institute.

So, each day is totally new, with some known as well as unknown events unfolding as I move along. There’s still so much more to learn, so many interesting people to meet, so many unknown challenges in life. As someone recently remarked, “How can 24 hours be enough?”

In my own mind, the answer to that is “No. It’s certainly not enough.”

As you can see, life can never be more interesting than after retirement. There’s so much more in life if we live it without expecting any financial rewards or returns from it.

Just live it to the full whenever and wherever possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment