Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Another reason I do not belong to a religion.

I have come to the conclusion that if anyone wishes to join a religion, do not ask too much, know too much or observe too much about the religion. This conclusion, however I must admit, is just only the result of my own experiences and thoughts.

As a young man in quest of the truth and the spiritual paths, I have been into temples, churches, mosques and all kind of places people claim there are spirits and happenings. I have been to processions of the nine emperor Gods, the Datuk Keramat Diety, St. Anne's in Bukit Mertajam and other happenings in temples. I have even personally seen a young Malay boy jump into a trance-like dance while waiting for a Chinese friend outside a small temple even before the usual medium in front of the deity's statue could be possessed by the deity. (Of course, this is bound to be disbelieved by those who were not present then.)

In those days; it was the 1970s then, human beings were more united, communication on religion and beliefs were easily discussed without the present day suspicion. In the mosque, for example, I was allowed entry to every part of it just clothed in a white cloak which was provided by the guardian of the mosque. So there was no worry whatsoever of doing anything wrong unlike these days when talk of sacrilege is sure to erupt should someone wishes to find fault with someone.

Speaking of sacrilege, which is treating a holy place with disrespect by wearing or not wearing, by having or not having or by doing or not doing something, I have always wondered if the rules have been laid down by God or man.

As my parents were Taoists but claimed to be Buddhist, I have been told by them that those people who are having their periods must not enter the temple or place of worship. So, even if there is a need to pray in a temple, the need has to be put on hold. According to the rules the woman's body at the time of menstruation is considered unclean and therefore not presentable to God. That is something I have always argued with my parents about. I could never accept the belief that a body is unclean just because it is in the natural process of removing waste.

If the process of removing waste from the human body is considered dirty, than what about the process of eliminating toxin from the body through our skin as we sweat, the process of removing carbon dioxide from out body through the lungs in the process of breathing or the process of getting rid of waste from the bladder or the intestines. Does that make our body dirty? The elimination of waste takes place every second of the day. So does that make us unclean and so forever not suitable to enter the places of worship. Or is it just menstruation that has been singled out as the impure state of the body? Would that be an act of God? Certainly not! It has to be an act of Man! What kind of fairness is that?

It is such rules that point me towards the realisation that many religious rules are man-made. Only man could be so small-minded as to consider a woman to be in a 'dirty' state at the time of menstruation which is actually a normal, natural process of eliminating one kind of waste. Such being the case, would God be angry with the presence of one his greatest creations? Furthermore, the act of menstruating is not an act against God for God himself created women thus. It is a perfectly purifying process in itself. Yet, man is petty enough to consider it dirty.

If I had been told that the disallowing of women into a place of worship during menstruation was to prevent inconveniencing women who might possibly be in pain, weak and having stains, I would wholeheartedly agree but surely not because they are impure or is sinful for them to be in God's presence then.

When faced with such a rule and other rules which are man-made, I find it uncomfortable to submit or be a part of a religion which requires its followers to obey its rules. Such being the case, I am more comfortable with my belief that God is always with me no matter where I am, be it at a muddy river, a smelly spot collecting manure for my plants or in a well-scrubbed toilet. God will always be there and I am only answerable to God for all my religious thoughts and deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment