Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Allow the child to grow into an adult

Today I read the story of a forty-three year old man breaking the arm of his father just because the seventy-one year old man stared at him for shouting at his mother.

Now, even if the old man was not the father, breaking someone's arm just because of a stare is obviously too much. The picture I got in my mind then was a gangster whose ego is such that even a stare cannot be tolerated. In my youth I have come across such a gangster who asked me what I was looking at. In my adolescent recklessness I told him how could he know I was looking at him if he had not been looking at me. So "Why the hell are you looking at me," I shot back. But, please do not emulate my then stupid action. For me at that time, I had the body of a body-builder and every other person is a coward if he is not confident of winning the fight. With no weapon and a body less rugged and faced with a guy who was certainly not timid, he knew the odds and went off.

In the present story, apparently he knew the father was too old to retaliate and dared to break his arm and kicked him. And he knew the others would not dare to intervene as he had a bowie knife in his hand. What a hero! Would he be brave enough to tackle someone his age and size?

Now, I detest such types; they who would take on someone weaker and show their sadistic streak harming those unable to defend themselves because of age, less strength and less power. They people should put their need to satisfy their ego to better use.

And once a child is big enough to be on his/her own, parents must let go and allow the grown-up child the freedom to find his/her own destination. In this sense I agree with parents in certain countries who get their children to be out of their homes or pay for their own expenses once they are capable of earning a salary. In this way, some children would have the opportunity to develop some maturity and be able to think right. When a child is not able to think correctly, his words and actions will not be right. And when words and action are not controllable by the brain, the person will always be in danger of committing wrong.

So, parents must allow the child to grow into a man/woman. Like a kite-flyer, parents must gradually lose hold of the string that hold and retards their child's growth mentally and spiritually. Allow the child to grow into an adult with all the capabilities of a fully-developed one.

No comments:

Post a Comment