Sunday, August 29, 2010

Where we ought to be firm.

"My father allows my two nephews to take out his motorcycle and left him without transport to the morning market," she told me.

"What do you mean? Don't they ever ask for permission?" I enquired.

"Aiyah, you know kids nowadays. They just grab the keys and go off just like that before anybody notices them," she explained.

"Then your father must keep his keys in a safer place where nobody can have access to them without his permission. You know, it is very risky to allow under-aged children to ride around, more so without a license," I was starting to give a lecture.

"Hiyah, it's difficult to control them. I myself have told them so many times not to take the bike out but they still do when I'm not around. What can I do. Their grandpa is even worse. He sleeps most of the time and so allows them to do whatever they like," she interrupted my talk with excuses.

"Well, make sure they don't get into an accident. (In my mind I rebuked myself for saying that for who ever gets themselves into accidents. They just come unannounced and that is why they are called accidents in the first place.) If an accident ever happens imagine the problems it can cause," I warned.

"Well, if it's an accident what can we do about that?" she asked, innocent.

"You certainly cannot do anything but land in hot soup. Not you, of course, but the owner of the bike who happens to be your father. If the police wishes to pursue the matter, the bike owner has given the bike to be used by people without license. Now, although the bike has an insurance, it is stipulated that that insurance is valid only when the rider has a license. Without that driving license, the insurer will wash their hands and declare that it is not responsible for any claims made against the bike, So, in a court of law who do you think have to pay for the claims made against your nephew?" I wished to know how well informed she was.

"How do I know? My nephew? Where's he going to find the money?" a worried frown appeared.

"Since your father has so kindly given permission to someone unlicensed to drive to cause damage to others, he will have to answer for that. If the claim is small, he can just become poorer and stay in a small hut but it the damage is expensive, he can be a bankrupt, do you know that?" I needed to emphasise the weight of the problem to this relative so that understanding will be sufficient to have some changes made.

Sometimes, people wait for mistakes to happen to learn from them but often, it is better to avoid making mistakes as they can be traumatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment