Friday, April 23, 2010

What has sex got to do with it?

Last night, as I lay down to rest, the thought of my last posting returned. I was happy with what i had written as I believe it could help people to understand the needs of growing children to face the their world. Even as I thought of that, my memory went back to the year 2005 when I taught in a rural primary school.

I remember a time when one lady teacher in that rural school asked me why there were so many rapes, child rapes and incest among certain people. She told me of grandfathers who rape their granddaughters and of fathers who rape their daughters. She was pained that such rapes could happen especially when the men are supposed to be the guardians of the girls.

For a few seconds I was silent, uncertain as to what to do, to proceed and tell her what I thought or to remain secured in my silence or give a noncommittal reply.

However, since I found this teacher very open-minded and truly concerned about such incidents, I told her that the problem could lie with too much emphasis place on the separation of the sexes and the idea implanted in children that being in the company of a person of another sex must have some connection with sex. Those who study psychology would know that such indoctrination would certainly influence the thinking and subsequently the actions of the people indoctrinated.

In the previous writing, I have gone into a certain aspect of separation of the sexes. Today I would like to add that it could open the door to possible excitement and pleasure just getting to know a new companion of the opposite sex. Of course, with those youngsters whose parents are more liberal and have given their children the chance to mix around, such feelings may not be aroused as being with the opposite sex has become a normal everyday happening. however, for someone who has been restricted from mixing around and knowing members of the opposite sex, the person's first venture out of restriction may open door to danger, firstly from the excitement of meeting for the first time somebody of the opposite sex and the feeling being heightened by the sex indoctrination concerned with such a meeting. With 'shackles' gone and the first taste of freedom as well as the inability to judge the other person and the situation well enough, caution is thrown to the wind and the disastrous result might to read in a newspaper report of 'Girl raped on her way to a job.'.

When ideas of sex is ever prevalent upon the sight of a female body, be it a sleeping granddaughter or a daughter, danger of arousal and loss of self-control is always present. Self-control and self-respect are the two most important factors in the discipline of a person. Without these two factors, except for the presence of the law and another human, what is there to prevent such a disaster. Yet, it happens from time to time. How often is not of interest to me for where I am concerned it must never happen. If we cannot trust or depend upon a parent or guardian to protect us, what kind of safety or security can we hope to turn to? None!

Well, I did think about over-covering of the human body and having people believe that that exposure of parts of the body would lead to sex. Certainly, those people who associate the exposed face with the sex act will feel and act as trained to respond to the stimuli. I personally think that the common sight of hands, legs, face and hair would remove the undesirable feelings or sexual feelings that could be aroused through association. Well, when I see exposed faces everywhere I only have labels such as beautiful, handsome, rugged, pretty, cute, rounded, sharp and the numerous other possible descriptions for the face. I never associate face with the sex act. Similarly, a gynaecologist has seen exposed parts of the female body, yet, in the labour room, he is only thinking of child-birth.

Of course. if a religion really forbids the exposure of any part of the body, who am I to say otherwise, for I am not God, not a prophet, not even a member of any known religious body. I am just a monotheist, a strong believer of the God who created us all and I am proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment