Thursday, April 08, 2010

Beneficial trek up a hill.

Today, while I was up at the hill, I met two Malay ladies who found the exercise provided by the hill very beneficial to their health. Both have become fitter and healthier as a result of taking walks up that hill.

I had gone up and gone one round at the top and was on my way down when I met Liza, a tall thirty-plus year old lady who was quite fat about five months ago. Then, the first time I saw her at the hill, she only managed to make it half-way up the hill which would be approximately half a kilometer. She was resting at the times as she breathed deeply, sucking in air as she wiped away some sweat. Two months later, I saw her reach the top and from the way she moved it was obviously so much stronger. A month further on and she was not only reaching the top but striding on round the hill with confidence of completing the trek.

Today, when I commented on how beautiful she looked, she gave an appreciative smile and when I added that she was so much slimmer, she told me she had gone down eleven kilogrammes since she came to the hill. Wow! That was so good, I told her. She certainly felt wonderful and told me she also ate a little less nowadays. No wonder she looked so good, being much more healthier and radiant. Nowadays, she goes the last one hundred meter slopping stretch of the hill top, up and down again five times. She is so much stronger too.

But not all ladies who walk that hill everyday becomes slim. There is this big-boned gal who is strong and healthy. Going down the hill, as I slowed down to greet her, she told me her neighbours said they exercise too without having to come to the hill. I kept pace with her and she said her neighbour was of the idea that housework was exercise too. (That depends upon how the housework is done.) Furthermore, the neighbour told her she had not reduce her weight despite coming to the hill for exercise every morning. So, I consoled her and told her it was alright for people to make comments. After all, in life, people always appear to be experts at everything and can make comments on anything.
"Well, if you feel mad about that, curse a little if you wish but do not keep it inside your heart for it will only hurt you. Just let it go and listen to your own mind and the little voice within. After all, you know you are fitter and healthier because you come to the hill for exercise. You know the benefit, so be happy with it," I told her. Well, it is true that some people who exercise become healthier but remain as plump as ever. What counts is the good-time, the non-appearance of sickness, no heavy-breathing or breathlessness even with light work, there is less pain in the body, you are more relaxed and can sleep well at night. Is not that enough reason for exercise.

For me, that hill is my guarantee of happy, healthy, energetic life. I would not stop unless circumstances force me to.

No comments:

Post a Comment