Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Delay not when it's life and death.

"Hello, is that Tan?"
"Yes, speaking. Who's that?"
"Can't you recognise my voice. I'm your third uncle from Penang."
"Oh, oh! Sorry, it was some time since I heard from you. Anything, uncle?"
"Well, your aunt is sick in the General Hospital in Penang. She's quite serious with diabetes, kidney failure with 90% of the kidney gone and the heart stopped for more than six minutes. There's possible brain damage, according to the doctor."
"Which ward is she in?"
"It's ward 7 in the C block of the hospital.Please inform the rest of the relatives in Sungai Petani."
"I'll tell them about it. Sorry about auntie."

And the rest of the relatives were informed. Sometimes, relatives are slow to response to such a call. When I heard of the bad news, I told the others we had to move and get out there to the hospital immediately.

Despite that, i heard someone said she had to go to Kuala Lumpur that afternoon. Another said he would go the next day. Still another said he was not free even though it was his off day.

I had to persuade them, that this could be the last chance to see the sick aunt for the last time. Luckily, the rest of the gang got the message in and went to see her as that night our dear aunt passed away.

When it comes to death, it waits for no one and therefore we must move and do whatever needs to be done before it is too late to act.

Even when the matter has nothing certain to be connected with death, we must do whatever neccessary for our friends and love ones and leave nothing undone for how are we to know if the opportunity to do would still be around come the next day. Let us not like some people who show their regret only when such feelings no longer are of any good to the one for which it holds meaning.

As for my wife, before she went back to God, I held her hand each night to show and tell her my love for her. We were in hospital then and i would sit and hold her hand as my head bent forward onto the railing at the side of her hospital bed in sleep. She, in turn, would squeeze my hand every so often through the night. I know she died with the knowledge that she would always be in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment