Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Immunity against certain sickness can be developed.

When I was young I used to catch cold quite often. However, the neighbours' children do not seem to catch cold just as often. Why? That was my observation and the question on the matter stuck as I certainly would not want to be a sickly person my whole life.

So I watched them. Even at the age of twelve, I have learned that observation reveals lots of truth and gives me greater understanding of things in and around me. Those children who hardly catch cold come from Indian families. I was living in Queen Street, Penang Island, at that time. There were a good number of Indian neighbours although most of the residents were Chinese.

Yes, I watched and from my observation I discovered that Chinese parents quickly covered up their little children with thick warm clothes whenever it rained. In fact the Chinese parents sent their children indoor at the first indication of rain. Not a drop of rain did Chinese children get.

However, that was not the case with Indian children. Even as the rain got heavier, I could still see them running around, sometimes stark naked, in the street getting thoroughly wet with the rain. Their parents did not seem to fear that the rain would chill their bones and lungs, and bring them cold and influenza.

Since that observation I had use every opportunity possible to walk, run and play in the rain. If there was nothing with me which could get spoiled by the rain, such as books and other articles that I could have been carrying, I would walk home in the rain. At such times, rain did not stop me from reaching home on time. And I noticed that i got stronger from the exposure to the rain and wind. (In an earlier post i had told about allowing my children to play in the rain at a very young age; young enough not to be conscious about sliding on the wet cement floor wearing just a pair of shorts in the compound of our house; in order to achieve this type of immunity against cold.)

Even nowadays, if I managed to get out of my house before the arrival of rain, I would be trekking Semarak Hill in the rain without raincoat or umbrella. There was one guy who went up that hill despite the rain and found me there without an umbrella.
"How come you did not bring along your umbrella?" he asked.
"It's alright. I enjoy it," I told him.
He was amused by the fact that a grown man could enjoy the cold wind and the rainwater flowing down the face and body. The next day, when I met him again, he commented,"Sorry, no rain to play with today."
There was one time I told another person, "This is the only place I can let go and enjoy the rain like a child without having people think I am a lunatic."

Well, this walking in the rain is good for my health, giving me an immunity to the cold. It is refreshing and fun, so it is also anti-aging. You feel young again. Yes, it's one of those rare times when you can let the child in you enthusiastically emerge from its social cage. (A few words of warning: For those not yet used to the wet and cold of the rain, do it in short periods first, and gradually, so that your body gets used to the rain.It takes time to develop immunity. There's no magic, I assure you.)I hope to enjoy the rain till the day I have to leave all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment