Saturday, June 18, 2011

How much food is enough?

There was a time in my youth when I would have a heavy breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. Of course, i was quite hefty then, weighing something like 130 lbs for a five feet, five inches. Perhaps, that was due to the muscles on my body as I did take up body-building. Although I was thick, a little stout but never fat.

In fact I did try to put on a little once with about eight to ten eggs as well as a plate of noodles for a short period of a month but it got me nowhere. In a way i was lucky that it did not change my body shape as some lovely ladies did mention that I ought to wear T-shirts more often as it emphasises my good shape. Well, like most youngster I was obviously a little egoistic.

Perhaps because of my active life-style, no matter how much i eat, my weight always creeps back to 120 pounds. Light and somewhat slim perhaps but certainly healthy. Realising how important health was, I actually reduce my meals by one; no more supper.

How often I have read that as one grows older, the body gets fatter. With me, that is not the truth at all. In fact I got slimmer! I got so much thinner that some friends even asked me whether I was facing a health problem. This brought me to the realisation that i could possibly be eating too little; perhaps insufficient food. so, I went to two-times breakfast, a heavy lunch and dinner as well as a light supper. My weight stabilised somewhat although my waist remained one inch smaller than usual.

So how much is enough? Perhaps, I have been doing too much exercise, as one hill companion suggested. This could be true as exercise burns up calories and even more calories as the muscles continue stretching and twitching the whole day even when resting. I also produce bodily heat a little too easily and this could burn some calories too.

To ensure I am perfectly alright I checked and discovered I had no diabetes or heart problems to worry about. Since that put my mind to rest, I continue eating everything that I could enjoy besides taking apple cider vinegar, coconut oil and olive oil. So much oil, yet as slim as any girl would want to be.

So I believe I am just blessed. As someone once said, "You must be doing all the right things." So the question of 'how much is enough?' does not arise. It depends upon one's life-style, one's activities and one's metabolism. Everyone of us is different. And that is why no one diet or slimming programme works for everybody. If you come to me, I would look into your life-style, your activities and your metabolism before I make any recommendations. You can do the same for yourself. Think about that, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment