Friday, October 01, 2010

Such honesty as this I'm most grateful for.

Yesterday I went to the bank to send RM100 to Universiti Putra Malaysia for the use of their gown for my son's convocation in approximately ten days' time. At the bank, I was given Ms Lau's counter. After geeting her, I extended my RM100 and the form for sending the money. Then she discovered that I had forgotten to fill in the details of my son. I had to go back to the car to get them. Upon returning with the details I forgetfully gave another one hundred ringgit which she took. With the processes complete, I went home contented that I had done the part my son had requested me to do.
He had already started work at a place where it was not convenient to get to a bank.

The house phone rang at about 5pm when I was working at home and upon picking it up, I was surprised to hear Ms Lau's voice informing me that she had found that her accounts could not tally as there was an extra RM100. According to her recollection of the day's flow of cash, it could only have come from me. As I was no more thinking of what I had done at the bank, I told her I was not very sure of it. However, she told me that it could only have come from me and she remembered how I had given her RM100 twice. So she told me to get it from her the next morning and that was what I did this morning.

It was only after her informing me about my going off to get my son's details that I remember having inadvertently given an extra RM100. Well, what honesty! I mean, I did not even realise my own mistake and she had to think of when the extra RM100 could have come from.

At that thought I was so delighted to have received that call from her. It was not just the sum of RM100. I am quite a careless person at times and have lost more than this before. Always when there is such a known loss or misplacement I just forget about my own mistake. No, I am very generous to myself. I forgive myself for any loss of money very easily. I just forget about it and there is no stress, no sleeplessness or insomnia over it. You see, that is the beautiful part about believing in God. I believe that should God want me to have it, it will come, no need to buy a lottery, although just like any human I do buy them once in a while.

I was in so high spirits since then because of the fact that there are still honest people in this beautiful world. There must be so many more Ms Laus in this warm and dear world of ours. Sometimes politicians make us angry and sad and we write things we should not have but the Ms Laus in this world sweeps away all the dirt and rubbish that some of them vomit out each day, clearing the skies with their honesty.
Thank god for the existence of such wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment