Sunday, October 03, 2010

Whose life are we actually concerned about? The Indian Star Tortoise's?


Today I finally decided not to wait for a reply to my appeal for a permit from the office of the Protection of wildlife to keep my two Indian Star tortoises. I phoned a reporter to help me reach out to more authorities so that the voice of truth, reason and concern can be heard. Unfortunately she was not able to make it to my place and promises to phone back one day when her schedule permits her to do so. I shall wait for I have waited quite some time now.

Well, about eight years ago I bought two Indian Star tortoises from a pet and fish shop in Penang Island. At that time these two cute little ones were approximately the size of a fifty cent coin. I looked after them each day giving them attention and food. Gradually they grew bigger and bigger with the female enlarging itself faster than the male. Today, the female is almost double the size of the male. They have grown so healthily and strong in the large enclosure I have given them.

Never in my mind was there the thought that one day I would have to apply for a permit for them, what more to fail to get the permit and not receive a reply after I had made an appeal before the date when they would enforce the law, for at the time I got them at the shop, Indian Star tortoises were sold openly not just in that shop but in almost every pet and fish shop in the country. I know that for a fact as I am an animal lover and where there are animals to see, there I would be. In those days, especially when my wife was still around, we went even up to fish and pet shops in Malacca. As for the other places, I have heard from people with similar interests that they can be bought from other states too and they were always sold openly. Today you cannot find them for sale anywhere.

Then, I read about the International Trade in Endangered Species Act(Intesa)2008 which was gazetted to come into force on December 28, 2009. The ministry concerned has announced a six-month grace period from the date of enforcement of the Act until June 28, 2010. According to the Secretary-General of the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry, during the grace period, private owners who have in their possession CITES-listed species that were attained before the enforcement of Intesa may apply for a special permission letter from the relevant authorities starting from Feb 17 to June 28, 2010. However, the issuance of a special permission letter is subjected to terms and conditionsdetermined by the authorities.

As I felt that all I needed to do was to apply for the special permission, that was what I did for my four pig-nosed turtle and my two Indian Star tortoises. Unfortunately, I was told that Special permission was given for my pig-nosed turtle only and I was to surrender my tortoises to any one of the offices for the protection of wildlife. Since I fear for the safety and survival of my Star tortoises, I wrote them an appeal.

I must thank the lady officer in the Sungai Petani Protection of Wildlife office for after hearing my reason for appealing she took the trouble to even rush to get me the forms for my appeal and I filled up the form and had it sent back to her at the office. She went the extra mile to get the form to me in front of the Taman Intan surau (mosque) so that my appeal could reach the higher authorities before June 28 2010. Then I waited for the answer but except for a phone call from the Alor Star office informing me that my appeal would be rejected, I have yet to receive a letter to that effect. I had told the person who phoned me that once I had been officially informed I wished to appeal through the newspapers and perhaps any other authority which could offer to listen to the voice of reason.

As I have stated in my appeal, I had requested for reconsideration as the tortoises had been with me for eight years and animals kept for so long from the wild would not be able to survive should it be released in the wild again. And if they are to be taken from me to be reared by someone else, could such a person know them better than me, the person who has looked after them for so many years? I have heard of many who failed to look after their Indian Star tortoises well enough to have them survive for long. What guarantee would there be that my pets would be given the best chances of survival? Who are we concerned about? Are not these tortoises' welfare the concern of all animal loving authorities? If so, should not the person who have proved beyond doubt that he knows these tortoise well enough to have ensured their growth and development the one to be allowed to look after them?

Well, I hope there would be people who truly think of the welfare of the animals in deciding the best action to take. If they listen to the voice of truth and reason, then the action they ought to take should be obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment