Thursday, June 10, 2010

Let’s hear something new.

I know everyone has a favourite topic. No matter how much we are interested in it, we ought to remember that the same person would not want to hear it twice. Perhaps, it is still alright for a repeat once but certainly no third telling of the same story or incident. When stories are repeated once too often, it becomes boring.

“I just can’t bear having to listen to him talk about his son and his trip to Japan to see him. You know, this is the umpteenth time I have heard it. I know the story so well, I can almost repeat the whole thing word for word,” the poor lady complained.

“Well, the poor guy certainly loves that son of his. So, can you blame him for remembering him so often.
Perhaps, he may have another story about his son the next time you meet him,” I consoled her.

“No, it can’t be. He has not yet made another trip. No matter what, it’ll be more or less the same thing, his son and Japan, nothing else whenever I meet him,” she lamented.

What more could I say. She was right. That man has nothing but stories about his son and Japan. And she has heard all about them. Well, I have heard those same stories too and I have to admit they were, after a time, BORING!

Though what I have written today is a somewhat well-known fact, there are still many people out there who still tell the same often-repeated stories to those around them. Wait a minute! I must admit I am sometimes just as guilty as them. My elder son is sometimes there to remind me I have told someone or him that same old story or incident. Thanks to him, I am made aware of my weakness and this awareness has managed to stop me from repeating something to someone or him. With time, I realise I must not go too far back in relating my experiences. I make it a point to stop and think or look to see if the listeners are really interested in what I am saying. I have to realise that boring conversations can drive friends away. Yet, these friends never dare to tell that they have heard those stories a thousand times. No, that’s not true simply because the listeners would disappear before that record breaking chance was given. Yes, the friends would run away. So, some kind souls must take courage and inform such story-tellers that it is time to move on to other stories in order to keep the interest of the listeners.

As someone once said, “Leave the past behind and live the present moment.” So, that someone is right. If we stay too long in the past, we tell only stories of the past, stories which has been told before but if we stay in the present and live it, then we can talk of the present and what has just transpired. If we are too far in the past we do not see the boredom in the faces of those present. What we do not see, we cannot realise. Let’s move on to new experiences to share with our friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment