Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Be active forever.

"Nowadays, there are people who are so weak. And this neighbour of mine passed away at the age of fifty-seven years. Imagine that! When you think of this old uncle from Old Town (Pekan Lama) who could cycle so well at the age of ninety years. He came to our coffee-shop, his body erect and steady, not swerving or bending to the left or right; still so strong and healthy. Wow! Wish I could be like that," the lady told us.

"What was the old man's work?: I enquired.
"He was an ice-cream seller who would pedal his tricycle with the rectangular insulated box of of ice-cream to every corner of the town from late morning to evening with just an umbrella to protect him from the heat and rain."

Yeah, a fellow living a tough life with hardly any time for leisure and entertainment is compensated with a longer healthy life so that when his responsibility to his family is done he still has the strength and energy to enjoy his life, I thought. God has certainly been very fair to the guy.

However, that does not mean that those who have an easier life cannot find the strength and energy to enjoy his life when he eventually retires. I have known many people who live an enjoyable life after retirement, still having the ability to move around with ease. Of course, such people have been aware and do at least some of the things that are required for a person to be healthy and strong.

As I am one of these people, I discovered that muscles, tendons and tissues are constantly regenerated. In fact, according to my son, my muscles are still growing, especially the left arm which was not used as much as it is now. The muscles are still firm and strong due to constant use and exercise. My strides are just as long as before as I do run at speed and walk as fast as ever in my daily morning trek up the hill. Of course, I sometimes, in my enthusiasm as well as poor judgement, overdo it and strain certain tendons but a rest does put things right. Nevertheless, with consistent stretching of the tendons and muscles, they do not shorten even as I age.

Thus, it is not strange that a ninety year old man could still move around just as steadily as any forty year old. I strongly believe that with regular movement and stretching of every part of the body, the body will remain as flexible and strong as long as it is given the opportunity to remain so.

No comments:

Post a Comment