Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Another con job.

There are lots of people wanting to con someone out there. I have received so many emails telling me i have won a million dollars that I no longer read the full story anymore. The latest seem to come from Microsoft itself. As I do not have much time for some free cash, I just delete it and I am my happy old self again. You know, being a millionaire just isn't my cup of tea. Today, as I am, I do not even have to bother about locking my doors securely as sometimes I just hope someone would cart away my old furniture so that I have an excuse to buy some new ones. Well, no such luck, fellows.

Below is an email where someone experienced a new way to con some money from your relatives. As they say, to be fore-warned is to be fore-armed. So, we can learn from the experience of theis guy. We certainly would not like to learn this first-hand. So. please read on and beware!


Dear all

I cannot stop myself from sharing this with all of you.

Its all started when I received a call from someone claiming that he was from Maxis and he asked me to shutdown my phone for 2 hours for 3g update to take place. As I was rushing for a meeting, I did not question him but did what I was told and just shutdown my cell phone.

After 45 minutes I felt very suspicious since the caller did not even introduce himself and tell me his name. I quickly turned on my cell phone and immediately received several calls from my family members. There were other calls as well from the number that had called me earlier.

I called my parents and was shocked to notice that they sounded very worried and asking me whether I was safe. My parents told me that they had received a call from someone claiming that they had me with them and asking for money to let me free. The call was so real and my parents even heard 'my voice' crying out loud asking for help. My parents were at the bank waiting for the next call to proceed with the money transfer. I told my parents that I was safe and told them to lodge a police report.

Right after that I received another call from the guy asking me to shutdown my cell phone for another 1 hour. I refused to do that and hung up. They kept calling my cell phone until the battery had run down. I lodged a police report and I was informed by the officer that there were many such scams reported. Most of the cases reported indicated that the victim had already transferred the money! And it was impossible to get back the money.

Be careful as this kind of scam might happen to any one of us!!! Those guys are so professional and very convincing during calls. If you are asked to shut down your cell phone for updates by the service provider, Ask around! Your family or friends might receive the same call.

Be Safe and Stay Alert!
Please pass this around to your family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment