Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The power to kill pain.

When a relationship goes wrong, there is pain. When things go wrong, negative thoughts assail us. The pain or the disturbing thoughts return again and again.
For some, there seems to be no way out. The torture continues until the mind can no longer withstand the pressure. We are depressed. Then the mind has to find an escape to another level of the mind, to another world.

For all types of pain and all troubled thoughts, there is a solution; activity and company.

It is a known fact that our brain produces a pain-killing chemical known as endorphin which also helps the body to relax, if we exercise through brisk walking or running for more than half an hour.

When I lost my wife to Cushing Syndrome, I was angry with God. I felt the pain of losing her. I have lost the one person I cared for, the one person who cared for me. Why did it have to happen to me? Each day I thought of her death and my own sad situation.

Fortunately for me, I had always known of life’s values. I have always held the belief that I must have a mission in this life. I did not come into this world for nothing. I believe there must be a reason, for I believe in God. I have always overcome my problems in life, emerging even stronger as I have always felt the guidance of God in this life.

So, I decided to walk in the evenings. I walked to places where I could meet others. When others smile and greet me, I just had to greet and smile in return. I talked to them. I lost myself in the activity. Thoughts of the moment crowded out my own painful ones. At least for a short time, there was relief.

I plunged myself into gymnastics. I trained the gymnasts almost every day of the week. I tired myself out. I slept the sleep of exhaustion.

I started to breed more discus fish. I cut the grass in my compound, looked for an attractive ground-covering plant, found it and replaced the grass with a yellow-flower runner.

I went on to other activities. I trekked up the hill nearby more often. I made friends.

I managed to overcome the pain in my heart and to look at the world in a better light. And I found love in life again. I still love her but there is also the life that God has given me to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment