Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Share to derive benefits.




The above are pictures of my orange dwarf crayfish.
---------------------------------------------------
My elder son and I rear orange dwarf crayfish. As with every fish or animals that we have reared, our aim is to enjoy their beauty and movements, observe their characteristics, actions and life-cycle and so be able to give them the best condition possible, thus enabling them the greatest possibility of breeding.

To accomplish the wondrous act of breeding our crayfish, we put in many 3cm long PVC plastic pipes with 2cm diameter openings to give them safety and a sense of security.

I once thought of using old plastic pipes that people may throw away. So I told my son about it. When he heard that he was worried, wondering whether i had already done it. He told me it is not wise to use PVC plastic pipes which have been discarded as we do not know the source of such discarded piping. Had it been used to pipe chemicals from one place to another? Could the chemicals in the pipes be a danger to the crayfish? Could the remnants of the chemicals still sticking to the inner side of the pipes contaminate the water? What effect would it have on the crayfish? As I listened, the truth of his words struck me. How could I have not thought about such dangers? Well, it can happen as in this case.

Then, as he continued, I realised that I had a son who has acquired the wisdom of 'Shilling wise, pound foolish'. To ensure I do not use such pipes, he asked me how much we could save from using such discarded piping. Well, merely a few ringgit, perhaps. But the orange dwarf crayfish, and we have ten of them, which was purchased at twenty-five ringgit each, could be lost should there be any contaminants. The question which arises is 'Is it worth it?'. The answer to that is obvious.

From this experience, we see that no matter how much we know or have experience, we ought not to be too arrogant. Sometimes, it is possible to miss out on simple logic. Therefore, just as with knowledge, problems and actions too ought to be shared. Fear not that others may ridicule us. Think only of the benefits we may derive from such actions. The others may present the truth or logic that we could have missed. Nobody, except God, can be at one hundred percent awareness twenty-four hours, seven days a week. So, share and gain the benefits of having wrongs prevented and rights confirmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment